Seattle Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
What Are the Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip or trip and fall accidents are one of the chief causes of premises liability claims. These accidents happen when an individual loses their footing on a surface that's slippery or uneven.
Some of the most treacherous locations for slip and fall accidents include:
- Uneven floors or places where the flooring is loose
- Potholes in a parking lot or chipped sidewalks
- Staircases with no safety rail or another safety defect
- Transitions from one flooring material to another, like carpet to tile
- Ice and snow
Although a slip and fall accident may seem like a minor tumble, a victim's injuries can be quite serious.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Take Place?
A slip and fall accident can occur almost anywhere, but these are the most common locations for premises liability:
- Department store or mall
- Grocery store
- Private business
- Parking garage or parking lot
- Sidewalks or entrance walkways
- Stairwells of larger buildings
Anywhere you normally visit could be a possible trip and fall zone. If the property owner doesn’t maintain their building or exterior, visitors could easily get injured.
Injuries from Slip and Fall Accidents
Falling onto a hard surface can result in any number of painful injuries, some of which may require surgery to fix or months of physical therapy to recover from. Some of the most common injuries in a slip and fall accident include:
- A traumatic brain injury or concussion from the head striking a hard surface
- Fractures, especially the hips or wrists
- Strains and sprains of the ankles or wrists
- Back or spinal cord injuries, like a herniated disc or tailbone fracture
Elderly people are more vulnerable than others to serious complications from slip and fall injuries. Their bones are more brittle, and chances of recovery are less guaranteed. In fact, falling is one of the leading causes of death for people aged 65 to 85. Your wrists may be especially vulnerable in a slip and fall accident. Most people instinctively put their hands out to break their fall, so the force of their entire body weight is suddenly transferred to the wrists, causing a serious sprain or break.
Unfortunately, many people injured in a slip and fall accident may suffer from more than one of these injuries or experience other complications (like deep contusions or dermal abrasions).
How Washington Protects the Victims of Slip and Fall Accidents
Washington State law provides a legal vehicle for victims of a slip and fall accident to recover financial damages from the property owner or other negligent party that caused the conditions for their accident.
You may be able to file an insurance claim against the property owner or retain a Seattle attorney for slip and fall accidents to file a premises liability suit to recover compensatory damages.
Here are some of the important things to remember about Washington premises liability laws:
- You have three years from the date of the accident to file suit — this is the statute of limitations;
- You may file suit even if you are partially at fault;
- You can seek economic or actual damages to cover your medical bills and medications;
- You are eligible to receive compensation for the pain and suffering you experience;
- It’s unlikely that your lawyer will seek punitive damages;
- You can file a suit against commercial or government property owners and private ones.
Filing a suit against a government entity may be trickier, so your lawyer will need to take a few extra steps when filing your Seattle slip and fall case.
Some people may question whether filing a lawsuit is necessary, but the state would not have these laws and protections in place for victims without reason.
Many insurance companies may try to minimize the extent of your injuries or deny your claim, leaving you in pain and with mounting medical bills. A premises liability lawyer holds negligent property owners accountable.
Damages and Compensation in a Seattle Slip and Fall Claim
Compensation for a premises liability lawsuit can cover many types of losses. Property owners have a duty of care to provide a safe environment for visitors, including ensuring that the walkways, floors, and stairs are free from trip hazards.
As long as you were a lawful visitor to the property, you are protected under Washington premises liability laws, and the property owner may be liable for damages.
These can include:
- Medical expenses, both immediate and ongoing
- Durable medical devices to accommodate your injuries
- Lost income from missing work due to your injuries
- Loss of future earnings if you are unable to continue in your current job
- Property damage if any of your belongings broke in the fall, like a laptop or watch
- Pain and suffering from serious injuries
Property owners who neglect to quickly remove ice and snow, fail to complete repairs in a timely manner, or leave slippery puddles without a wet floor sign or another warning could be considered negligent under Washington law.
How Can a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Seattle Help with Your Case?
Your slip and fall accident lawyer does much more than file a lawsuit for you. They construct a strong case against the property owner, including reviewing any photos or video footage and hiring expert witnesses to recreate the accident and ascertain responsibility.
A lawyer advocates for your interests only, handling all communications with the other party, their lawyers, and the insurance company. You’ll never miss filing dates, the statute of limitations, or other court deadlines or have your case dismissed because of a procedural error. They prepare you for the trial and testifying.
Why Choose the Washington Slip and Fall Attorneys from Lehmbecker Law Firm?
The right lawyers for slip and fall accidents can make a big difference in the recovery you’re awarded — if you receive a settlement at all. Lehmbecker Law focuses on personal injury claims, and our litigators have decades of combined experience negotiating in mediation and arguing for our clients in a court of law.
We walk beside you every step of the way during this painful and difficult time.
Talk to a Seattle Slip and Fall Attorney Today
A slip and fall attorney in Seattle can help you after you’ve been injured, making a strong slip and fall injury case to get you the compensation you deserve.
We accurately value your case and strive for the maximum compensation
Our firm assesses fees on a contingency basis — we get paid only if you win
We aggressively pursue all negligent parties and hold them accountable
Call an Experienced Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Seattle Today
Slip and fall cases can become complex legal affairs, but our legal team can handle even the toughest opponents. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.